The New Experienced Worker Assessment with XS Training Ltd
If you need to get your skills and experience recognised to the industry Level 3 benchmark, the Electrotechnical Experienced Worker Assessment will be available from the 1st of July 2020 with EAL. (21st of August with City and Guilds)
Experienced Worker Assessment Explained
This is the new assessment process to recognise occupational competence for people who have been working as an electrician for typically over five years but haven’t been able to complete an apprenticeship or achieve an equivalent Level 3 vocational qualification.
It will replace the JIB Mature Candidate Assessment and provides an improved, standardised and transparent process for experienced workers to accredit their skills. It’s been developed via an industry group comprising ECA, JIB, NET, Unite, ECS, NAPIT, City and Guilds and EAL.
The new Experienced Worker Assessment is based on the same content as the electrotechnical apprenticeship, so that both new entrants and existing workers are now being assessed and accredited against the same industry standard.
Why should you do the new Experienced Worker Assessment?
The main benefit is that your existing qualifications, skills and experience can count towards the Experienced Worker qualification criteria, so you’ll only need to fill in any gaps.
To complete the whole assessment, you’ll need to gain the Experienced Worker Qualification and also take the AM2E Assessment. (AM2 plus Steel Conduit and PVC Conduit Installation)
If you’ve already completed some elements, for instance, if you already hold the BS 7671 and Initial Verification qualifications, you won’t need to repeat these, making for a shorter overall assessment process.
XS Training can now help you gain the Initial Verification qualification part of the process via the 2391-52 Initial Verification, Periodic Inspection & Testing Online Course.
How the process works
* You’ll need to have worked in the industry full time for typically 5 years or more.
* Before you start, you’ll need to complete a Skills Scan which is essentially a self-assessment process to determine if the assessment is right for you. You’ll need to demonstrate you have knowledge, understanding and experience which is equivalent to the Level 3 Electrotechnical Apprenticeship.
* If the Skills Scan reveals significant gaps in your technical knowledge, understanding or experience, contact XS Training Ltd to look at the best options for filling the gaps.
* If you proceed with the EWA, the provider will undertake a process called ‘Recognition of Prior Learning’. This will assess your existing qualifications, skills and experience against the Experienced Worker qualification criteria.
* You’ll only need to complete the assessment elements that remain once the RPL process has checked off what you have proven already. You will fill in the gaps working with XS Training Ltd via a combination of on-site assessment and portfolio building (and BS 7671 and Initial Verification qualifications if required). The price and duration of the Experience Worker Assessment will be adjusted to reflect the elements you require.
* Once you’ve gained the Experienced Worker qualification, you’ll need to undertake the AM2E Assessment at an independent NET centre. Once you successfully gain the AM2E, your Experienced Worker Assessment process is complete.
Achievement of the Experienced Worker Assessment and the AM2E meets the criteria for an ECS Gold Card application.
The Experienced Worker Assessment is also recognised in the Electrotechnical Assessment Specification as equivalent to an industry apprenticeship.
Your first step will be to carry out the Skills Scan to look at your existing levels of knowledge and understanding, to consider if the Experienced Worker Assessment is right for you.
Also take a look at our detailed Frequently Asked Questions with more information about the process.
How do I get started with online electrical training?
There’s never been a better time to invest in developing your electrical skills. Today, online electrical training is the fastest, most convenient and cost-effective way, to gain in-demand electrical skills. XS Training Ltd is established as a leading UK online electrical training provider.
Why wait? It’s the ideal time to get started training for your NVQ today! Call us on 01535 657059, or click here to get your questions answered.